Tuesday, May 26, 2015

My First Pocket Letter!

I'm back today with a very fun Pocket Letter feature for the Scrapendipity Way Of Life Blog! This is the very first Pocket Letter I have ever done, and it was so fun!!

Have you heard of Pocket Letters? Do you remember when ATC's (Artist Trading Cards) were big? Well, I still have all mine stored in a binder in baseball trading card sleeves! These Pocket Letters remind me of them - they are little 2.5" x 3.5" cards, usually following a theme, tucked into these sleeves and then folded into 3 parts so they fit into an A10 size envelope - ready to mail off to a friend! Often people tuck some paper crafting goodies into the back and enclose a letter for the recipient. There are websites, YouTube videos and Facebook pages dedicated to these crafty projects!

I decided to make my letter with a food theme and used papers from the Echo Park Made From Scratch collection as well as a food themed Smash kit and diecuts from a Ruby Rocket Pack. I used some BoBunny background stamps to add stamping and embossed details to my cards before layering my papers on and added some fun foodie washi tape!

On the back of my Pocket Letter I added some goodies my friend could remove and use in her own crafting - some baker's twine, diecuts, stickers, washi paperclips, extra papers, tea and ribbon. I tucked a letter I wrote into one of the pockets with a 'pull' tab and put my paperclips into a fun paper pocket.

Here's a few close ups of some of the pockets:

Background stamping and fun food diecuts-

Tim Holtz mini blueprint coffee stamps-

Twine wrapped around a mason jar diecut-

Cheese and Bread diecuts from the France Cricut Cartridge-

I added a recipe for Tea Biscuits that I've used for the last 20 years, handwritten on a recipe card I had - here it is if you want to try it out! 


This is my pocket letter folded into 3 and wrapped up with a doily and some rickrack! I can see this will not be my last pocket letter!!

Thanks so much for joining me today! I hope you are inspired to try something new today or maybe even send a Pocket Letter to someone you know. Don't forget to stop over to the Scrapendipity Online Store for some Canadian Shopping and have an awesome week!


4 comments:

  1. Karla I'm wondering will you take this apart and use them in pocket page layouts or are they just meant to be put into an album as is? Really curious about this pocket letter business, but don't know a lot about it. Can you enlighten me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's meant to be put into an album, but really whoever I send it to is free to do what they want with it. They are 2.5 x 3.5, so a little smaller than a 3x4 project life style pocket page, but you could definitely mount them on a background journaling card. The goodies in the back of the page are meant for the recipient to take out and use on their own projects. This website - http://janettelane.blogspot.ca/2015/02/what-are-pocket-letters.html - has a lot of good resources and info about how she uses the letters. As far as I know it's a way to get back into sending 'snail mail' and lets you send something artsy, including a letter, and some goodies to your friends.

      Delete
  2. Karla, you have done a beautiful job on this pocket letter. Your additions are a nice treat to use later. Love it!

    ReplyDelete